Throttle sticking again

I've asked this before but something is just not right. '03 Frontier with SC engine. Wife has same engine in her Xterra but not SC. Friend at work has Frontier with SC and no problem.

Throttle sticks as if their is a buildup in the throttle body. Both cables are very easy and smooth with no binds. I have cleaned the throttle body several times which fixes the problem but it is back almost immediately.

On Friday I removed the throttle body completely and gave it a good scrubbing. Pedal felt great. Drove 160 miles and it started again the next day, just like my last cleaning.

So what is going wrong? I started off using only brand name fuels but that made no difference.

In the past 10 months I have only had a handfull of days where the gas pedal was smooth and easy. For the rest of the time I have been jerking my wife's neck (and mine) all over the place.

Ideas?

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Woodell

I just got the fuel system cleaned this morning and on the way back it is still sticking about half thr time.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Woodell

Fuel system cleaning does not clean what you need cleaned.

Get some air intake cleaner, Take off the hose that runs from the air cleaner to the engine and clean the air intake on the engine. The sticking is caused by gung built up around the butterfly valve just inside the opening.

Reply to
E. Meyer

That's the problem. I have cleaned it before and on Friday I removed it completely and cleaned it with a toothbrush and on Sunday it is sticking again.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Woodell

In that case, work the cables and see if something is kinked or obstructed.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Was it very dirty?

Sounds like maybe a defective TB or it "backfired" through it and bent the throttle plate? Do these have some sort of blow off valve that protects the throttle plate from boost when the throttle is snapped closed? That may not be working, damaged the TB and caused this to become a problem?

Reply to
Steve T

Sufficiently so. It appeared to be sticking on the built up gunk. When I clean it it always works great but only for a couple of days. It seems to be buliding up very quickly.

No evidence of that at all. When I clean the TB it's as good as new...but again, only for a couple of days.

I'm wondering if there is just a lot of nasty gases recirculating. Can this be a sign that something is out of adjustment? Can I block off this recirculation?

Glenn

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Woodell