Tightening Rear Strut

Just put a set of Eibachs on my 92 SE-R. Had a shop put on some Intrax's first and changed to Eibach. My problem: Originally the shop had left the driver's side rear strut loose up top and I was able to tighten it using a

17mm wrench and an allens head wrench. This second time around I can't get it tightened that way. The threads on the strut are a little damages and the allen head fitting is too worn. I only have the nut down about half way. It isn't cross threaded and I am able to get it turned if it is outside the car but understand not to tighten it until it is installed and the car is on the ground. I decided to stop and ask if anyone had any ideals before preceding because I was getting frustrated. I swapped allen head wrenches because the one I was using was geting a little rounded and the new fits better but still I can't seem to get the nut to turn. I considered holding the strut shaft with something but wanted some advice. This is how I was able to loosen the nut when removing the Intrax spring from the shaft. I used a pair of vice grips near the top of rhe strut shaft. Did not have to clamp them that hard as the nut came off pretty easy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
William Michael Greene