Timing Belt

I have a 1995 Nissan Sentra GXE. Is there any fixed frequency when one has to change the timing belt? Is it something that can go unnoticed in a normal check up? Someone was telling me that it is not possible to diagnose a timing belt problem so it is better to get that replaced without knowing that there is a problem. That sounds stupid. Or am I?

Please suggest.

Shirish

Reply to
<slele

the car does not have a timing belt

Reply to
NissTech

That car doesn't have a T-belt, it uses a chain.

yes.

Not stupid, you just don't understand what's going on. If you wait till there is a problem, the belt has broken and many times this does major damage to the engine depending on the vehicle. On older cars it can do enough damage to total the car out.

Reply to
Steve T