Timing on Nissan PU ?

I just changed the oil pump on my PU and the drive shaft to the distributor fell out in the process

. I guess I didn't get it lined up right cause now the truck won't fire up at all. )`:

Does anyone know the trick to lining everything up right on a 92 Nissan 4x2 PU 2.4 liter OHC ?

Thanks for any advice, and also all previous advice.

--Dave Moore--

Reply to
Dave Moore

There is no "trick" follow the manual. Why would you think the oil pump would need replacing? They NEVER go bad!

Reply to
Steve T

: > . I guess I didn't get it lined up right cause now the : > truck won't fire up at all. )`: : >

: > Does anyone know the trick : : There is no "trick" follow the manual. Why would you think the oil pump : would need replacing? They NEVER go bad! : : -- : : Steve : :

Yes, my favored mechanic just back from a job on the coast said the same thing ("they never go bad"), but my wife needs the truck by next monday so I figger, just shotgun all possibilities and get the job done in time.

I don't have a manual, as I never intended to do my own work on the vehicle, but after weeks of doing without the truck and over $800 to a mechanic for other repairs, I decided to save a few bucks and tackle this one myself.

Yes there is a trick or method, rotor to the first cylinder top dead center compression cycle ( according to a local mechanic)

I replaced the oil pump because the engine was intermittantly losing oil pressure which my mechanic attributed to a possible defective bypass regulator valve in the oil pump. It's good thing that I did replace it as in the process, a silicone glob of gasket residue fell out of the oil pump which probably was the actual culprit.

Actually, I did have it all assembled and everything was just fine, but since I didn't prime the pump with oil, I took the new pump out again to prime it and that's when the durned rotor drive shaft came out with the pump this time and I lost the timing. )`:

Sadly, if I only had total recall, I would have remembered some

20 years ago when I rebuilt a Datsun 510 wagon about how the shaft goes between the oil pump and the rotor and I would have taken precautions to record the positions of all parts involved.

Well, I'll get it straight this weekend when it's warmer as two nights of working on it in near freezing temperatures has temporarily tempered my enthusiasm for the project for now :-)

Thanks for all the advice

--Dave Moore--

Reply to
Dave Moore