Timing on Nissan PU ?

Threaded View
 I just changed the oil pump on my PU and the drive shaft
to the distributor fell out in the process

. I guess I didn't get it lined up right cause now the
 truck won't fire up at all.  )`:

 Does anyone know the trick to lining everything up right
on a 92 Nissan  4x2 PU    2.4 liter OHC  ?

Thanks for any advice, and also all previous advice.
--Dave Moore--

Re: Timing on Nissan PU ?

There is no "trick" follow the manual. Why would you think the oil pump
would need replacing? They NEVER go bad!

--

 Steve

http://www.atlantaracing.com

Re: Timing on Nissan PU ?

: Dave Moore wrote:
:
: >  I just changed the oil pump on my PU and the drive shaft
: > to the distributor fell out in the process
: >
: > . I guess I didn't get it lined up right cause now the
: >  truck won't fire up at all.  )`:
: >
: >  Does anyone know the trick
:
: There is no "trick" follow the manual. Why would you think the oil pump
: would need replacing? They NEVER go bad!
:
: --
:
:  Steve
:
: http://www.atlantaracing.com

 Yes, my favored mechanic just back from a job on the coast
said the same thing ("they never go bad"), but my wife needs the truck
by next monday so I figger, just shotgun all possibilities and get
the job done in time.

 I don't have a manual, as I never intended to do my own
work on the vehicle, but after weeks of doing without the truck
and over $800 to a  mechanic for other repairs, I decided to
save a few bucks and tackle this one myself.

Yes there is a trick or method,
rotor to the first cylinder top dead center compression cycle
( according to a local mechanic)

 I replaced the oil pump because the engine was intermittantly
losing oil pressure which my mechanic attributed to a possible
defective bypass regulator valve in the oil pump.
 It's good thing that I did replace it as in the process, a silicone
glob of gasket residue fell out of the oil pump which probably
was the actual culprit.

 Actually, I did have it all assembled and everything was just fine,
but since I didn't prime the pump with oil, I took the new pump
out again to prime it and that's when the durned rotor drive shaft
came out with the pump this time and I lost the timing. )`:

 Sadly, if I only had total recall, I would have remembered some
20 years ago when I rebuilt a Datsun 510 wagon  about
how the shaft goes between the oil pump and the rotor and I would
have taken precautions to record the positions of all parts involved.

 Well, I'll get it straight this weekend when it's warmer as two nights
of working on it in near freezing temperatures has temporarily
tempered my enthusiasm for the project for now :-)

 Thanks for all the advice
--Dave Moore--

Site Timeline