TPS repalcement?

`99 Max SE. Getting ECM code 0510, which I read is a failed throttle position sensor. Any idea how much these are to replace?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dudley Fuddpucker

Don't assume it's bad. Check the connectors and clean them with contact cleaner, run through the diagnostic procedures first.

FYI - contact cleaner did some funky things to my colorful gaskets in Nissan connectors, remove the gaskets first.

Reply to
Bob

Actually, in this recent thread, you will notice that 0510 points to the rear oxygen sensor, not the TPS:

"

" Nirav

96 Max GLE, 106k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

The thread is just below this one, and he also pointed out he called it that from memory, but upon further checking agreed that it was the TPS.

Thanks!

Reply to
Daryl Krzewinski

What is the diagnostic procedure??

I don't have a svc manual.

Thanks!

Reply to
Daryl Krzewinski

You will if you read your email...

Reply to
Jim

TPS Sensor is about 55-65$ US depending on where you get it. I had good luck getting mine at Autozone which had the same exact Hitachi made TPS sensor. Easy to replace, unscrew the tiny screws and replace. Pay attention to how much the TPS sensor was tilted. To adjust: Do not tighten the screws all the way down, hook it up, run the engine til it's totally warm and turn it counter clockwise until the engine RPMs surge, then back it down to where the RPMs are normal. Tighten screws and youre done.

Reply to
Roger

DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS !!!

This method could not be any more wrong.

Nirav, Please post the correct way to set up a TPS

Reply to
NissTech

OK, I found the correct instructions, replaced the TPC, and reset the code. All was working fabulously for a few days, then Bingo! on comes the Service Engine light again. I check the code, and this time there are TWO: one is the same (0510 - TPC), and the other is 0707 - Rear Heated O2 Sensor. I don't believe that the new TPC went bad so quickly, so I reset it to make sure and see if it comes back with the same code.

Meanwhile, I will assume I have to do the rear O2 sensor. Anybody have links/pointers to doing this job?

TIA,

Daryl

Reply to
Daryl Krzewinski

I just saw this thread... for the benefit of the group, Daryl, could you post the correct instructions... I have not done this replacement myself, so I would be interested in having a how-to under my belt just in case I need to do it also.

Thanks, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 106k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

You are right... I thought I read the earlier thread right, but I guess I had the codes flipped.... I need to read more carefully - thats twice in the same week I've put my foot in my mouth around here.. ;)

Nirav

Reply to
Nirav J. Modi