transaxle oil change

I have a 94 Sentra 5-speed. It's been a while since my transaxle oil was checked. I had it changed at 105K miles, 30K ago.

The Haynes manual tells me I must jack up the car to check the oil. But I can reach the check plug easily from the top. Is there another reason to jack it up?

Also, the plug is pretty stubborn; couldn't loosen it with a 3/8 ratchet. I sprayed WD-40 around it and will try again tomorrow. If that doesn't work, any suggestions? Penetrating oil and a breaker bar?

Reply to
Ian Trontz

Unless you jack the car up level, you won't get a good reading.

I doubt penetrating oil will do much. Some people don't understand how pipe threads work (I'm assuming it's pipe threads and not the plug with a crush washer..) and REALLY crank them in. I've also found they come out easier when the tranny is hot rather than cold. I've had them so tight I've had to heat up the case around the plug with a heat gun to get them out!

BTW WD-40 is a crappy penetrating oil (or oil period) and is really only good as a water dispersant (hence it's name WD-40).

Reply to
Steve