Transmission fluid/filter change

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima. In the Haynes repair manual for the car it has the procedure to change the transmission fluid but doesn't mention a filter. Is there no filter to change?

The car has 75K on it and as far as I know has never had the trans fluid changed. Is there anything else I should do when I change the fluid?

Thanks

Reply to
Mash

Rock auto lists a filter for a 2000 Altim. See:

or
or
orFRAM P/N FT1215 - (search at
Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

> or

It's just a screen though. It doesn't need to be changed. Note that you only get about 1/3 of the fluid out when you drain it. So you might want to do it twice.

Reply to
JimV

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah Jim, reading some of the other posts on this forum it seems that I don't need to (can't?) change the screen. Because I went so long without replacing it (75K) is it ok if I just drain/refill, drive a bit, drain/refill again? Or should I take it to a shop and have it flushed? If I do it myself should I drop the pan and clean it out?

Thanks again

Reply to
Mash

My vote would be to drain and fill, drive a bit, and drain and fill again:) Do you drive your car like a NYC taxi, stop and go all day in summer heat? If not, then chances are that the tranny needs only a mild maintenance.

I did a drain and fill (only once) on my wifes 98 Altima (99% pretty much the same as yours) after 120 K miles. She said it was like I brought new life to the car. What I noticed is that the car is much more willing to downshift, and therefore feels more spirited, and I feel totally confident that her car will go way past 200K miles without any major engine or tranny issues.

On a side note: I un-plugged the relay for the foglights so that she won't accidentally turn them on. The foglights put a 15 amp drain on the ALT and she's never aware that she turned them on. Pulling the foglamps relay will make the ALT last longer because it will run cooler.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Thanks,

It'll cost be $140-150 for a full drain, flush and refill. Pretty pricey. I'm either just going to drain myself, or get it flushed this once and just maintain myself in the future.

Thanks for the responses

Reply to
Mash

"Mash" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Marc.Marone

Voyons, bonhomme, pourquoi affiches-tu dans un "newsgroup" Nissan si tu n'as pas de question relative aux véhicules de cette marque?

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin

You can flush it yourself if you're up for it. You can pull the pressure line off the trans (usually the one with the banjo bolt) and run it into an empty gallon jug. Start the car and wait for the jug to fill. When it's full (a minute or two), shut off the engine and put in a gallon of clean fluid. repeat until the fluid coming out is bright red. Usually 2

1/2 gallons or so. You'll probably need 2-3' of 5/16" hose.
Reply to
JimV

Good question, why?

Andrew Chapl>>"Mash" a écrit dans le message de news:

Reply to
AS