Transmission oil filter and oil change

I just came back from the garage and the guy told me I should probably change the transmission oil filter and transmission oil after 50K. I have a

1997 quest and I see that the previous owner did it after 36K. It's now 130K. Should I change it again. Does it really matters?

Tnx

Reply to
Jonathan Carlos

Yes it matters, and yes you should change it ASAP.

Reply to
Jim

Here's a little trick I do to cheat those transmission businesses out of $150 to $200 that they charge to do the job. At every engine oil change (3000miles/5000kms)I drain the transmission oil from the pan as well and top it up with new. Mind you, you won't be able to drain all the oil out of the tranny but if you keep doing this for as long as you own the vehicle, you should have no worries. It's real easy too. And cheap! Now forget about those crazy filter kits. After every 50,000kms I unbolt my pan, remove the filter, clean the pan and magnet and wash the filter(screen) in warm soapy water then rinse and dry it with a hair drier. Easy! And buying transmission fluid is cheaper in the long haul.

Reply to
PathfinderHero

Can you tell a NOVICE all the steps involved in Changing Transmission FLUID and cleaning the filter. I have never done it, but would like to start. Is it 30 Minutes job ? What other tools I need to buy to get this done ?

Better late than never...

Reply to
News

If your car has a drain bolt on the transmission pan, then you can do a drain and fill in 30 minutes. Same as changing the oil.

- Take out the bolt;

- Let it drain (into something where you can measure how much came out);

- Replace the bolt;

- Pour in the same amount that came out;

- Warm it up to operating temperature;

- Check the level.

If you want to clean or replace the filter, or if your car doesn't have a drain bolt, you have to remove the pan. Highly unlikely you would get it done in 30 minutes, especially the first time.

Granted, dra> Can you tell a NOVICE all the steps involved in Changing Transmission FLUID

Reply to
E. Meyer