Transmission Problems - ETCU codes Nissan Quest 94 v6 automatic

Can someone please help me with this ? My transmission is stuck in 3rd gear - it won't go into any other gear - except reverse, of course. Even if you try to slide the lever into 1st or 2nd, it stays in teh same gear.

Moreover, I cannot use the OVERDRIVE button - it has no effect (no light comes on in the dashboard indicating OD/OFF) This is required to retrieve codes from the ETCU (transmission control unit). Is tehre another way to get these codes out?

I would like to check the electrical setup before buying another tranny.... I believe this is an electrical problem...I remember reading something about a "limp home mode" for the tranny (similar to the one the engine can go into....)

any takers? This is my 3rd post on teh topic, so please help if u can!

thanks a lot

Reply to
Ash Mann

before you go buy a tranny,

get up under the dash and look at the shifter cable attach point on the steering column, the cable should be held fast and if you follow it over to where it attaches to the shifter lever you might find that one or both of the bolts that hold it to the sifter handle are loose or missing, if they are just loose you can retighten them, you will need a Torx bit to tighten them.

If memory serves me correctly it is either a T25 or a T30 Torx driver needed to tighten them

Reply to
NissTech