troublshooting an intermitten dead cylinder

Just looking for advise to make sure I am on the right track. I have 91 sentra e 1.6 with 225,000 miles. Great car but everynow and then, I loose a cylinder. For the longest I was thinking I was having distributer troubles or a bad plug wire, but tonight the dead cylinder came up again. I pulled the from the offending cylinder and tested grounded against the engine, got a really strong spark. That to me rules out the distributer, plugwire, and plug. Next, I took a voltometer to the fuel injection socket and got a 13.86v good current. I then tried touching a screwdriver to the top of the injector and did hear the clicking but it did sound different that the first and fourth cylinder yet louder than the second (odd, the second is firing right now) .I am thinking with the extremely high milage that the injectors are really clogged up and intermittently stop working. Am I on the right track?

Reply to
Rosco

The same cylinder every time? You checked the fuel filter? You tried injector cleaner?

Reply to
Willshak

Willshak cried out

not really sure if is ths same cylinder every time, but yes i do use products like stp very often. The fuel filter i will be replacing next.

Reply to
Rosco

The plug cannot be discarded as the cause of the problem. The spark you get when the plug is at atmospheric pressure is not the same as when the plug is at 150 psi. The higher the pressure, the easier for the plug to fail/foul.

How do the plugs look? Dark, oily, dry, white?

Measure the cylinder compression.

Good luck

Rosco wrote:

Reply to
AS

AS cried out

I havent checked the compression and all the plugs look good. They are only about two months old for that matter. Anyway, on my way home from work today I dropped another bottle of stp super concentrated fuel injector cleaner and then drove away. On the trip home I felt a surge of power, that cylinder came back up. Seems like I have tons of power now for that little 1.6 4cyl...

Reply to
Rosco

Sounds like a bad fuel injector. You may be getting the correct voltage at each injector, but you have to check the resistance of each injector. My 90 Maxima injectors had two at 13 ohms. But the other four registered resistance of 58, 77 and one could not even give a constant reading. I replaced all offending fuel injectors and she runs perfect. Shop manual calls for resistance of 13 ohms.

Chris H

90 & 94 GXE's 06 SE

Reply to
Chris H