Truck won't start after spark plug change

I changed the spark plugs on my 86.5 Nissan Truck (vg30, throttle body fuel injection) last night and noticed that it was misfiring. So this morning I went and checked everything again (basically wiggled all of the wires). After that, the truck drove fine. About 10 miles later my engine stumbled a little and then 15 seconds later it stalled. It started right back up, but that lasted only 20 seconds before it stalled again.

I checked the engine and noticed that a coolant line that ran to the thermo element (do-hickey that controls the fast idle, I think) was leaking. I re-attached the hose and let the truck sit for a few hours, thinking that it might have been a heat related problem.

It still won't start. I can get it to turn over and it seems like it runs for a second or two, but then sputters and dies. Any ideas what might be the problem? Could the leaking coolant have shorted something? I also replaced two vacuum lines that where attached to the air filter housing (I think one was for the air temp sensor, not sure about the other), but don't think that this could cause the problem.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Bitter Dave

Have you checked the fuel, my 85 nissan pu fuel pump actually ran without any power for long time on pressure alone it was sputtering sometimes though and one day it wouldn't start. Loss power between battery and fuel control unit under the glove box. Turn ignition key to on and see if fuel pump is running.

You can also check the solenoid, but I would do the simple checks 1st like spark and fuel before you spend any time or money on replacing stuff

"Thanks for your input. I found the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carb (just like you said) this past weekend. But by that time I had essentially solved the problem in a roundabout way. I connected a wire directly to the "coil" fuse in the fuse panel. Then I attached an in- line 10A fuse. From there I routed the wire through the dash to a small rubber cutout I found in the passenger side floor under the carpet. From there I routed the wire along the frame to the fuel pump, where I soldered this wire directly to the fuel pump and used shrink wrap and plenty of electrical tape to protect the wires from the elements. Then I removed the "fuel pump" fuse, disabling the entire factory installed circuit.

So, > I changed the spark plugs on my 86.5 Nissan Truck (vg30, throttle body

Reply to
bluedevilblue