unflooding fuel injected engine

I have a 98 Nissan Sentra SE. Last year it would not start one time. This year the same thing happened one time. Every other time, it started immediately. My mechanic cannot find anything wrong (because it is so intermittent).

Each time, the engine ended up flooded and was very difficult to start because of this (although I'm not sure if this is what kept the engine from starting in the first place, or just a result).

How does one unflood a fuel-injected engine if it gets flooded?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Madsen

Find the fuel pump fuse/relay and remove it. Then crank the engine with the throtle wide open. If it's really flooded, when it clears out enough of the fuel it should pop off. Then replace the fuse relay and off you go.

Worst case you might have to pull the plugs, disable the ignition and blow the fuel out that way and install some new plugs.

Reply to
Steve

Usually you can just hold the throttle wide-open and crank the engine until it starts.

Reply to
Orv