Usinng the drive selector switch on AUTO vs 4x2 on a 2001 Pathfinder LE. Milage affect?

The drive selection swith or traction control switch, whatever, has a

4x4, 4x2, and AUTO position. In the summer, I have been driving using the 4x2 position. When it rains, I put it in the AUTO position.

My question is: If I were to leave it in AUTO all of the time, would I experience worse gas mileage on average? Put another way, when the switch is set to AUTO, does it engage an additional part of the drive train takes energy to move? Is there any reason not to leave it in AUTO all the time? (We get a fair bit of rain in Vancouver)

Thanks folks!

Gord.

Reply to
Gord Pope

Leave it in auto all the time. The only time the 4X4 will be activated in auto mode is when traction loss is detected. Otherwise, it will by default run in 4X2 mode.

Reply to
Harry Balls

Yeh but it still engages the front axle reducing fuel milage.

Reply to
Mind Melt

Actually, the front axles are turning all the time anyway. The controlling occurs at the transfer case. Are you sure you know more about Nissans than a fry tech? Perhaps you should do a little research before you insert your foot in your mouth.

Reply to
Harry Balls

Gord,

I think that if it's in 4x4, it's always driving all four wheels. If it's in 4x2, it will drive only the back wheels regardless of the circumstances. In AUTO, it will drive only the back wheels until it detects slippage, then it will automatically engage the front wheels. Since whenever it's in 4wd, it will use more gas than in 2wd, this means it will use more gas during the rare times it's in 4wd. But the extra gas will cost less than the possible consequences of losing control!

Does your truck have the fancy All-Mode system like the QX4 has?

The mileage (or power to the wheels) loss will also be greater or lesser depending on whether the front hubs are always engaged or not, and I don't know if they are on the newer PF's. I suspect in AUTO they would be, since it's one less thing to engage and disengage as the need for 4wd comes and goes. So there's a mileage penalty for that.

Reply to
SGrant