What's a fair price ???

I feel like I'm getting ripped off !!!!

Took my Nissan Sentra in to the dealership for some recallsa and was advised that the car could use a maintanance service, as it's over 60K now !!

The price they quotes me was a whopping $695.00 ?!?!?!?!?

What am I getting golden spark plugs ???

Reply to
Divlja

Yep, you are getting the shaft...a full tuneup service should run no more than $250.

Unless they are also replacing the timing belt, then I can see paying that much. Otherwise, go elsewhere.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Thanks so much! I thought so !

could you also tell me why he would presume that the timing belt needs to be changes seeing that he was only recommending this be done ?

Reply to
Divlja

Reply to
TopPoster

Unforunately I bot the car used and didn't get a manual ! And my concern is that why do it if there is no problem !

Why dis out the money if no problems are occuring ! Wouldn't I know that the timing belt is slipping or going ? Surely I would feel this when driving ? And then have it looked at !

Reply to
Divlja

Actually timing belts are one item that breaks quickly suddenly and without warning. the reason is that it slowly gets worn and cracked by the heat of the engine but it has little teeth on it that ride on the upper camshaft pulley and lower crankshaft pulley. thus even when the belt is frayed, worn, and about to break it will still not give warning usually. there is a mileage interval when it *should* be changed, but Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) :) if it breaks you will have a tow bill to pay at the least, if the valves get bent in the process (someone else would know if this could happen) then the bill could be several times the price!! i would take my car to someone else besides the dealer b/c of the high parts cost and labor costs! again others will disagree.

Reply to
Robbie Wilson

Reply to
TopPoster

Thank you all for the help !

Some wonderful information that will help me make some decisions !

Reply to
Divlja

Timing belt wear cannot be checked. They just need to be replaced at certain intervals. Some belts will go 100K or more, some belts break at, or near the recommended interval set by Nissan. To be safe get it replaced at the recommended interval for your specific engine. No manual? Check Nissan's web site of just call a dealer and ask when the belt should be replaced. Don't replace the belt and you're playing "Russian Roulette" with your engine. That belt breaks and you'll find out just how "little" a $700.00 repair was compared to the engine rebuild price you'll be paying.

Reply to
tranch

Most manuals can be found at

Filipp Stepanov

Reply to
Randall Phair

you're getting platinum spark plugs, even more expensive/better, also they probably add ruby-gem encrusted wheels and 670 horseppower nuclear jet engine

Reply to
Marco Licetti

The belt on my 1989 Mitsi VR4 went prematurely because it had been badly installed and the head work (15 bent valves, guides, thankfully no pistons) cost me $6.00 less than $2k and I still had to have the belt replaced - only about $70 and built in to the main cost.

Moral? Get a car with a chain such as a Primera or shell out and get it done. You truly can't tell and Murphy will make sure that when it goes you are late for an important appointment in an area with no cellphone coverage, it might be dark if he is in a bad mood and raining...

Fun Fun

Reply to
Alun and Angela James