When should I do my first oil change?

I have a new Sentra Spec V with only a few hundred miles on it. When should I do my first oil change. I'm thinking of changing it around

1200 miles, when the break-in period is done. Just to be safe and get any debris out of there, thinking that more debris may be present since the engine is new. What I'm wondering is does Nissan use some special type of oil when the car ships? So that I shouldn't change the oil before the 3000 miles recommended in the manual?

Thanks,

Jason snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Mr. Knowitall

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Mr. Knowitall being of bellicose mind posted:

Three points. Personally, I would do the oil and filter around 750 miles. This is the period when the most debris is apt to be suspended in the oil. 2nd, the break-in process is NOT done by 1200 miles. Move that figure out to at least 5,000 miles. 3rd, stay with the light weight oil OEM installed for the first 5,000. No 10w-40 and not ever 20w-50.

Reply to
Philip®

Wouldn't you think that Nissan would know what the first change interval should be ? follow the manual.

Reply to
Bob

My sentiments exactly Bob. I mean people need to RTFM once in a while.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

LIKE every other manufacturer, the Nissan maintenance guidelines are COMPROMISED by government required "fleet operation cost estimates." These are life expectancy costs provided to purchasing agents to compare expected operating for each model.

SO.... if you can skip a transmission service or a couple of oil changes in the first 25k miles or 50k miles without incuring higher warranty repairs on your cars... the operating cost of the model -looks- lower during the warranty period.

Problem is ... people take these estimates as gospel and then wonder why they need a transmission at 100k miles or have a sludged engine. Follow me?

Reply to
Philip®

Then "iBuyMinis" ... you need to learn something that is not in the Owners Manual. :^)

Reply to
Philip®

Hi Phillip:

I am curios about this as it is new to me. Can you elaborate if you can?

Thanks.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

You are absolutely correct Phillip. I am ready and willing to learn.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

Yep. I normally sugest 500-1000 for the first oil change.

Nope.

No reason to. I wouldn't use synthetic until at least 5K.

Reply to
Steve T
5000 miles? Damn, it's already killing me to keep it under 4000 rpm. What would you recommend as a break-in procedure? Same as the manual? Under 4000 rpm, no full throttle, and avoid prolonged constant speed driving?

Thanks, Jason

Reply to
Mr. Knowitall

Reply to
ô¿ô

You're a strange fellow.

Reply to
Bob

In news:wk8_b.64499$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net, iBuyMinis.Us being of bellicose mind posted:

What specifically did you want clarified?

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@bright.net, David Rennick being of bellicose mind posted:

When one spends most of their time in OD/lockup, there is no slippage in the transmission which in turn, extends ATF life. With awareness of your neglect, I would expect premature sprag clutch failure. Nissan, Toyota, Honda list ATF service intervals which are a bare minimum.

Reply to
Philip®

The first 50 miles is the most important for the piston rings. Lots of rpm / load variations and no cruising, prolonged idling, or sustained load. Revs limitied to 60% of redline. Keep a close eye on your oil level. Common to consume oil during break-in. Once oil consumption has settled down, then you can consider synthetic .... if you're an aggressive driver. If an economy driver, wait until you've got 10k miles racked up before installing synthetics.

Reply to
Philip®

Mr. Rennick ... you don't know from crap. I personally put 285k miles on a 1990 Prizm (1600cc / auto) I purchased new using Mobil1. When I sold the car, oil consumption using 10w-30 was still over

3,000 miles to a quart and the engine ran like a top. Clean as a whistle inside too. There are lots of OTR diesel trucks running synthetic Mobil Delvac 1300 with 100k mile change intervals. Pull you head out of your behind.
Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Reply to
David Rennick

Reply to
David Rennick

And corvettes come with mobil one. That guy is an idiot... I always sugest using Mobil one in turbo cars and anything that gets driven hard in hot weather.

Reply to
Steve T

| |Mr. Rennick ... you don't know from crap. I personally put 285k |miles on a 1990 Prizm (1600cc / auto) I purchased new using Mobil1. |When I sold the car, oil consumption using 10w-30 was still over |3,000 miles to a quart and the engine ran like a top. Clean as a |whistle inside too. There are lots of OTR diesel trucks running |synthetic Mobil Delvac 1300 with 100k mile change intervals. Pull |you head out of your behind.

Agreed. How about using blends? Synthetic costs so much and blends seem to be a good compromise.

Thanks... Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

Reply to
Brian Bergin