Where is defroster switch mod?

I understand there is an easy modification to allow the defroster switch to allow the user to select a/c on or a/c off when in defrost mode for the Frontier. Where can instructions be found?

Reply to
rezarf

How to disable the automatic engagement of the A/C during defrost, written by Brent Scott, a.k.a. likexterra/OffroadX: I don't know about anyone else, but there are times I want fresh air flowing out of the defroster vents without having the darn A/C kicking in. I got around to figuring it out today. Items needed: Medium size phillips-head screwdriver Very tiny phillips-head or flathead screwdriver, about eyeglass size

  1. Release (not remove) the gray plastic trim below the steering wheel, there are 2 screws at the bottom corners. You just need to get it loose so that you can push it down about 2 inches at the top around the steering column.

  1. Remove the dash surround. There are 2 screws above the radio, and another two on the underside of the top of the gauge well. The smooth piece the second two screws go through comes out with it, there are 2 screws at the bottom edge of it as well, behind the gray trim piece you should have released in step 1. It will take a little tugging, but it will all come off cleanly. Disconnect the 3 wiring harnesses for the power mirrors, hazard lights, and rear defroster before you go yanking the thing completely off though!

  2. Now you will see the white housing for the A/C controls secured by
4 screws. Remove the 4 screws (don't let 'em fall in the dash) and then push the left-hand side of the housing back so that you can slide it to the left. You may need to set your fan switch so that it is vertical to get the most freedom of motion.

  1. Now that you have the housing as far to the left as you can, pull the right-hand side of it out a bit. The wiring harnesses and cables will prevent it from coming more than an inch or so out, but that's all you need. Notice on the upper right-hand side in back there is a small micro switch with about half a dozen small wires running to it. It is held in place from below by one tiny phillips-head screw about an inch long. You can see the tip of it on the top of the housing...

  2. Remove the tiny screw from the bottom of the switch, taking _extreme_ care not to let it fall into the stereo below. Put something down there to catch it if you like, I folded a piece of paper into a pocket of sorts and slid it in below (but I didn't drop it anyway :)

  1. Move the switch to the top of the white housing, and screw it right back into the same hole from above, making sure that the metal lever is facing to the right or even a bit towards the front.

  2. Replace the white control housing, making sure the switch isn't in a position that vibration may cause the switch to engage.

  1. Replace the dash trim.

  2. Reattach the lower dash panel under the steering column.

  1. Enjoy complete control over your HVAC system!

Reply to
Allen

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I wanted! -rezarf

Reply to
rezarf