Zen and the art of Oil Changing

OK.

I've been changing the oil in the family car, friends cars, etc, since before I could legally drive. I think I know the ins and outs pretty well. But I'm stumped by one question now:

how do you get the new cars elevated enough to change the oil without a lift? It seems not only have the makers designed the car to drip oil all over the motor when you remove the filter, but they are so low to the ground and have air dams and stuff to make it impossible to get under them.

I have always used car ramps, but you can't drive the car up the standard ramp without scraping the fiberglass. I've started driving the car up on the paved elevation next to my driveway, which is safe but not very satisfactory.

I've thought about making some "extenders" for the ramps I have, but safety (of the car) issues make me hesitate.

Can you buy "new style" ramps that you can drive low-clearance cars up on? I have not seen such a beast. Or does everybody else just let the pimply-face kid at "Jerky-Lube" change the oil while sitting in the lobby, talking on the cell phone and drinking Evian?

Reply to
Plague Boy

How about a jack? A local garage I use doesn't even have a lift. They use a couple of floor jacks - one on each side - to jack up the front end of the car.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Hmm. I guess "floor jack" is not equal to "bumper jack", and two floor jacks would provide some redundancy. Still, a lot of the cars I work on are very rusty, and jacking them up from the frame sometimes is not pretty :-).

I *have* jacked up cars and put them on stands, but it's a lot of work just for an oil change.

CW is never get under a car which is jacked up, but I guess I never really thought about whether that meant floor jacks or just bumper jacks. Whenever I get under a car, it's been on jack stands or ramps, with the wheels chocked.

I've never had a car fall on me, but there was a guy in the paper a few years ago that got trapped under the car he was working on. They noted that the same thing happened to him on a previous occasion.

Reply to
Plague Boy

Changing the oil these days is a crappy job anyway, if you do it yourself. I've grown to accept having dirty oil running down to my elbow, and having to wipe down the engine block afterward.

The local oil change places don't offer Evian, but they *are* very good at finding torn CV joint boots. Real good at that...

Must be the right way, bcz you're still here to talk about it. : )

Guess it didn't fall hard enough the first time.

Reply to
DemoDisk

Turn the wheels full lock to one side, place one ramp in front of one of the tires (the one sticking out in the front), drive up on the ramp.

It's not perfect, but it works and is safer and quicker than a floorjack and stands.

Plague Boy wrote:

Reply to
DS

I know of a story form my youth about a car falling on a local kid's head. The results were not pretty. Every time I think "do I _really_ need that stands for this simple job?" I remember that story and get out the stands.

Reply to
- Bob -

Wrong car? I can change the oil on my '01 PF (and '95 PF before that and the '87 PF before that) without stands. The '72 240-Z did require stands or a jack or something. The '70 2WD pickup I don't remember, but I don't think it needed anything.

And no drip on the motor -- the filter is below the motor and there's even a little chute to keep it from dripping on whatever's underneath. I do use a jack to tip the truck a bit because the drain's on one side and I can get a few more drops out that way.

I could legally drive. I think I know the ins and

It seems not only have the makers designed the car

to the ground and have air dams and stuff to make

without scraping the fiberglass. I've started

but not very satisfactory.

(of the car) issues make me hesitate.

have not seen such a beast. Or does everybody else

the lobby, talking on the cell phone and drinking

generation." - CJW

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

First I don't buy low cars and second I usually have oil changes done by quick service places such as Speedy or Midas. Never Mr Lube again though, I had a horrible single experience there.

Occasionally I change it myself and so far I can drive up on a ramp and reach under to access the drain plug, with a low profile drain tray under. I've had no problem with oil draining out of the filter pipe as I remove it last.

Reply to
who

I have several large wood blocks I put under for safety.

Reply to
who

Your loss. Low cars are fun.

Just a matter of time before you have to say that about Speedy or Midas.

Reply to
- Bob -

The most interesting part of your post.... TELL US ABOUT IT, already!

Reply to
DemoDisk

180/200/240SX Drive LHS front wheel on to a 3" brick. Use carpet "prayer mat" about 2ft x 4ft to slide under car to undo/fit sump plug. Make guide chute from newspaper, slide it under filter to direct oil that spils through gap between subframe and lower shield that roll bar is in.

Seems like 1/2 of people think the "bejesus" handle on the A pillar or above the passenger window is there to help lever them out of the car. They have no idea that it's to help stop the passenger from capsizing into the drivers lap during high G turns. I've seen complaints on this group that Nissan don't fit them on drivers side too.

Reply to
Peter Hill