1993 Nissan Altima with Intermittant Blower Motor

I own a 1993 Nissan Altima with a standard transmission.

I suspect that my A/C blower motor is going on the fritz, but before I tear up the dash with my multimeter in hand, I am posting the symptoms to see if anyone recognizes the problem as something else.

The blower motor works intermittently. Sometimes I start the car, and the blower does not work. The blower will remain nonfunctioning until I hit a bump in the road, and suddenly the blower will spring to life.

The blower motor speed control switch was replaced 3 or 4 years ago. It functions fine when the blower is turning.

During a nonfunctioning spat, I checked the two 20 amp blower fuses, both had power.

My next step is to test the blower motor resistor and the motor itself.

If someone recognizes these symptoms to be something else, please holler, as I really hate the dash tear down routine.

Many thanks - Gary

Reply to
GMReddick

I was experimenting the same problem and I replace the blower motor, the motor is at an angle so I guess the brushes goes faster, when I have remove the old one there was a lot of carbon dust caming out of motor, since that timeno problems (2 months)

Reply to
Andre

My blower would only operate on the highest setting...

My records indicate a repair bill of $170 for Nissan to replace the blower switch in 1998.

I stuck my head under the dash and looked for only a few seconds....

I wasn't inclined to deal with that nest of wires.

I confess I'd prefer all my cars to be Air Cooled VWs... but my wife won't hear of that.

Reply to
justme10