1993 won't start

I am experiencing a starter problem. When the key is turned to start no click, no turnover, no dimming of headlights, etc. All power and accs. seem to be on. The auto trans is in park, I have moved it and tried to start in P and in N, nothing. Is there a fuse, relay, etc not allowing the solinoid to be energized? please help..thanks

Reply to
emtdivr

I have a 1994 altima, mine is an manual tranny. On the clutch there is a rubber grommet, if this grommet is missing the hole it is in on the clutch will allow the clutch selonoid to go thru the hole and the car will not start.This grommet allows the selonoid to activate and complete the start sequence once the key is turned. The factory grommet is black, I purchased a couple of replacement grommets for about $1.50 a piece just in case this problem occurs, it is very easy to install, no need for a mechanic to charge you an analysis fee and then a part and labor fee.

Reply to
tipsam

I have a 1994 altima, mine is an manual tranny. On the clutch there is a rubber grommet, if this grommet is missing the hole it is in on the clutch will allow the clutch selonoid to go thru the hole and the car will not start.This grommet allows the selonoid to activate and complete the start sequence once the key is turned. The factory grommet is black, I purchased a couple of replacement grommets for about $1.50 a piece just in case this problem occurs, it is very easy to install, no need for a mechanic to charge you an analysis fee and then a part and labor fee.

Reply to
tipsam

Happened to my '93 a couple of weeks ago, the starter is done. You can get car started possibly by tapping the starter with a hammer but is inaccessible without the car being on a rack. Cost was about $450.00

Reply to
Will

A 93 Altima probably doesn't have a book value of more than $450.00. I'd get a new one.

John

Reply to
The Lindbergh Baby

Depending on the options and milage, it is KBB about 2,000.00 i think, more though if you can find somone willing to pay more ;p. I sold a 95 altima with 130k miles for 7,000.00. ;p

Reply to
Talon

Wow! Did swamp land come with that? ;-)

John

Reply to
The Lindbergh Baby

here's what happened. I tried finding an open switch but failed to isolate a problem so I disconnected the battery, put it on a charger and removed the starter. It was bench tested at a local shop-checked out all ok! So, I cleaned all the mating surfaces reinstalled the starter and it has been working fine (for the last week so far). Perhaps something reset while the battery was disconnected, perhaps the gunk that accumulated over the years opened a circuit (highly unlikely in my thinking), or just a miracle, I choose the later and am thankful that my daughters car is up and running. thanks again for your replies.

Reply to
emtdivr

here's what happened. I tried finding an open switch but failed to isolate a problem so I disconnected the battery, put it on a charger and removed the starter. It was bench tested at a local shop-checked out all ok! So, I cleaned all the mating surfaces reinstalled the starter and it has been working fine (for the last week so far). Perhaps something reset while the battery was disconnected, perhaps the gunk that accumulated over the years opened a circuit (highly unlikely in my thinking), or just a miracle, I choose the later and am thankful that my daughters car is up and running. thanks again for your replies.

Reply to
emtdivr

I just started having the problem with my 1995 AT Altima last nite at 10pm , the previous night ran fine, then went out to go to work, nothing no clicking no noises at all, just the accesories coming on. Battery is fine. Will have to check out the starter today sometiem.

Reply to
Talon

If no one will give me any money for it, I might as well keep driving.

Reply to
Will