1995 Altima

My altima 2 days ago started acting funny on the freeway, it won't accelerate at its normal rate anymore, it still accelerates and I drove it fine for 45 miles, but it shakes pretty bad at low speeds, Im not sure what the problem is but think a fuel injector may be bad, the idle has been rough on this car since I bought it in May 2001, and new wires and plugs helped but not much, my buddy has been telling me he thinks its the injectors. Aside from slower acceleration the car seems to run and shift fine, so I dont think its the drive train or tranny (AT). The RPMs stay steady too no erratic motion of the needle. Any idea what could cause this, should I buy new fuel injectors, about 100 bucks each from autozone, or pull some from a junkyard? Is it safe to drive about 20 miles to the dealer?

Reply to
Talon

I've had luck with junkyard injectors and rail assemblies for imports. They can be a little ruff getting the screws loose, I find vice grips to be handy on getting them loose.

To check the injectors you can use a long screwdriver and hold it tip against the injector as the engine is running and press your ear against the handle's end to listen for the clicking as it travels through the tool. Listen to all 4 injectors and the culprit will be the oddball one. Usually with a very dull tick.

You can also use a volt meter to check the resistance on the injectors, they should all be very close to each other, within 0.2 ohms. Sorry, don't recall the exact measurement.

Although, this problem could be something else, such as a vacuum leak, stopped up filters, but these would be consistent and show up immediately. Could also be a bad IAC/EACV which controls the idle.

I can't say if its safe to drive though, and 100 bucks is about normal for new injectors.

Best of Luck

Reply to
MegAltima