1996 Altima Transmission Slipping

My Transmission is slipping in overdrive and getting worse. It feels like when a clutch wears out on a manual transmission, but mine is a 4 speed automatic. Once the trans 'warms up' the slippping isn't so bad, but even when warmed up, you can't romp on it at higher speeds without the slipping. At this point, I just click overdrive off for the downshift, and then click it back on when I'm done. Now it's getting so bad that even 3rd gear slips a bit at first. The car also takes too long to shift and the RPM's rev pretty high until the gear engages. First and second engage fine and do not slip. All the gears shift, but take a while and then slipps pretty badly in overdrive.

The transmission fluid has been changed and still smells fresh.

I work with a guy who has a 1995 Altima with the same problem, but his isn't as bad yet. I have 110K and his has 100K. The only other problem is that both cars are rusting in the exact same spot: Drivers side fender near the mudflap just above where the unibody meets the sheetmetal.

-Thanks!

Reply to
htwf