2005 2.5SL versus 3.5SE

I am looking at the 2005 Altima. I am trying to decide between the 2.5 and

3.5 . I am not looking to HOTROD but normal city/highway driving. With the price of gas going thru the roof I am looking at the 2.5 versus the 3.5. The 175hp would seem to give a decent amount of pickup. I would appreciate comments by anyone with the 2.5 regarding upside or downsides.

thanks

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pyfferoen

Ralph Griffith

With the price of gas where it's going (doubtful it will ever be low again--they're just not finding that much in the way of new deposits) I would go with the 2.5. Plenty of power for regular driving...unless you're drag-racing, anything the 3.5 can do the 2.5 can do just the same. And in city/highway situations, 60-0 impresses me a lot more than

0-60 in a car anyway, since you'll use it more often, especially if you wind up behind Judy. ;-)

BTW, the 2005 isn't 175HP--they've added a few more ponies, maybe ten. It should be more than fine for all your driving needs. I have a 2004 and never yet have I found myself saying "Dang, I wish this engine had more power."

John

Reply to
The Lindbergh Baby

I have a 2003 3.5 and I've never thought, "Dang, I wish I had less horsepower". (G)

All kidd> > I am looking at the 2005 Altima. I am trying to decide between the 2.5 and

Reply to
Altima Esse

The main thing to consider here is not engine displacement or power but more engine power vs. weight ratio. If the 3.5 weighs significantly more than the extra power it puts out then it is a bad deal. For instance: say the

3.5 weighs 1.5x the 2.5 but puts out only 1.3x the power, you're getting a raw deal because you need more power (aka fuel) to push that engine along. However, if it puts out 2x power then your fuel efficiency might be better because the engine is actually working effortlessly to push itself and the rest of the car around.

Oh, and as far as gas prices go--the U.K. pays FOUR TIMES our gas price. We're getting a good deal, better than infation.

Reply to
John Smith

sticker is listed as 170 HP. Have yet to drive one, guess I'm just not ready to pull the trigger yet, but sure like em.

Reply to
Paul O.

I've had a '05 2.5 SL for about a month. Love it! It is 175hp (at least in Canada it is). If I could have the 3.5SE for what I pay for the 2.5 SL I would take it for sure, but I'm not disappointed that I got the 2.5. For regular driving I don't think the cost difference (price, gas, insurance) is worth getting the extra performance of the

3.5 over the 2.5 SL.
Reply to
Ryan

The five fewer horses may be because of the California Emission stuff.

Reply to
Will

I don't have a 2k5 but do own a 1995 Altima with the 2.4 and it is only putting 130 or so down to the ground due to the automatic sucking up a few horses and I've always been happy with it though. Never had any problems passing people or getting up to speed in a hurry should the need arise.

Reply to
Talon

As I like to say, for "real world" urban driving (i.e., not Montana), a fast 60-0 impresses me a lot more than 0-60.

I've already had to use my car's 60-0 ability far more than the 0-60.

John

Reply to
The Lindbergh Baby

For this reason alone I love the Nissan Sentra Spec V, ahhh Brembo ;p

Reply to
Talon

I've had the 2005 2.5S for 6 months and it has plenty of power...period. Yes its 175 HP.

Reply to
nissannewbie