94 Altima electric problem... Plz help..

I was replacing my old Cd player with a new one. I took out my old CD player and then when i conected my new one, it wouldn't work. First, I thought the problem was with the CD player but when I checked it on my battery it was working. Then I tried to put my old one back to see if that was gonna work, it didn't. Then I took out the old one and then my dash clock went off. My dash clock works when I connect the always power on wire with the power on wire (of the cd player). I was just wondering if anyone knows what the problem is. Everything else in my car (electrical) works just fine. Please help me. Thx in advance.

Reply to
Nego

Hey Nego

What year Altima? The Haynes manual has a schematic for a 'typical' radio setup. Let me know if you need it.

Maybe suggesting the obvious that you probably looked at already, but did you blow a fuse? Make sure you have 12V on both "12 V constant" and "12V Switched" against ground (ie chassis). After you see that, make sure that what you think is ground on the radio is indeed tied to your chassis. Also make sure that the power out connections (power antenna, amp power) are indeed terminated properly - if they are not used, be sure to cap the off. If they are used, make sure they are hooked up correctly - when in doubt, perhaps disconnect them.

Hope you find it soon -- I hate driving without a radio too. Remco

Reply to
remcow

Hey Remco,

I installed the new CD player according to instructions. I did everything the way it was told on the manual. Now, even if I put my old CD player back connecting all the wires the way they used to be, it doesn't work. I don't know man, probably I will have to take to Best Buy and let them see what is the problem and fix it at the same time.

I didn't quite get "blow a fuse" thing. Can you tell me what that is and what i am supposed to do?

Thx a lot

Nego

Reply to
Nego

Hey Nego

It could be that the new radio you have is defective and caused the fuse for the radio to blow: A fuse is like a circuit breaker in your house that causes current to stop flowing when a line is drawing too much current. Unlike allowing itself to be reset, a fuse permanently opens up and needs to be replaced - when that happens it is referred to as 'blowing'.

Check your fuse box. It is located most likely under a little trap door next to the driver's side left knee. One is most likely labeled "Audio" or "Radio". In the fuse box you'll find a special little tool that looks like a chubby set of tweezers -- use that to pull the fuse out. Once out, you'll see a loop of wire through the plastic on a healthy fuse. Your fuse most likely doesn't have that little loop and needs to be replaced. It is most likely a 10Amp fuse. If you have spares present in your fuse box (they are labeled), use them but make sure they are of the same value. Don't use larger values as that can do damage!

Automotive supply stores sell an inexpensive and easy to use tool that allows you to find voltage on wire. It has lights indicating voltage level and a wire on one end that you attach to the chassis of the car. The tool has a needle-like probe that allows you to poke through the insulation of wire to see if they are alive or not. See if you detect 12V on the power wires to your radio (the instructions of your radio will tell you what wire should be connected to power). From there, you should be able to see if you did your work correctly. If no problems are found, you may want to bring it back and try it again with a replacement radio.

Sorry if I went through tedious details, but just want to make sure you understood what I meant. Not sure what your level of expertise is.

Hope this helps Remco

Reply to
remcow

Thanks a lot, Remco

I will try doing what you advised. I will post the results later.

Nego

Reply to
Nego

Hey Remco,

Guess what? I got it DONE !!! The problem was both with the fuses and the Ground Wire. The old Ground wire that was in my car was missing :). I don't know how. I got all that stuff done. Now I am enjoying loud music in my car :D.

Thanks a lot for your help, appreciate it.

Nego

Reply to
Nego

Hey Nego

Great ! Feels good to fix stuff, doesn't it?! I thought I heard some loud music a bit ago and couldn't figure out where it came from :)

cu Remco

Reply to
remcow