94 Nissan Altima GXE (stalling problems, hard to start when hot)

Hey guys... I have a bit of a problem here. My Altima runs grwat when cold...starts like a charm. Now when I drive it for about half an hour to an hour it will suddenly start jerking and will die out. The car is not overheating. I have been told that this could be either my camshaft position sensor (which is not serviceable...have to replace whole distributor 600$) or possibly Coolant Temperature sensor. Any ideas? or even feedback from people who have had this problem before?

Thanks

Reply to
Robin Woroch

If it is a distributor issue, you may be able to fix it cheap. Pull the distrib cap and rotor, check for a trace of oil. If so,the plastic dustcover behind the rotor inside the distrib is where the camshaft sensor is located. Carefully remove this cover (it has hidden plastic tabs). Drain/dry oil from this disc/sensor assy with paper towels and compressed air. This has gotten many 1st and 2nd gen Altys back on the road. The cause is a worn oil seal(~$4) on the back of the distrib. You'll have to get this from a Nissan dealer, but just cleaning the camshaft sensor should get you back on the road until the oil seal arrives. Many have cured their distributor problems like this. Your choice $4 or $400.

Reply to
googlemike