'95 Altima Tachometer Erratic

I let the car sit for 2 weeks then since I started using it again the tachometer has been erratic, zero then on target then sometimes pegging. It sometimes moves when the engine isn't running.

Searching the web it sounds like I need a new instrument cluster. Anyone ever see this condition with anything less than a bad tach? I've taken the instrument cluster out and gone over the plug connections with a lead/graphite pencil improving the contact but no improvement in tach behavior.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Junkyard instrument cluster, 10 minutes to change, works fine. Took apart old tach. Nothing obvious and I'm an electronics tech.

Bill

Reply to
Bill