96 Altima misfiring, sputtering, cutting out and no power to go

I purchased a preowned Altima 1996 just a week ago. I got this car as a second car for errands, ect and decided on a Nissan for reliablity. I had this car one week. Three times it has all of the sudden while driving start to misfire, sputter, lose accerlation, drop in RPM's and just won't go. I had to pull over on the highway and have it towed the first time. Then the dealer diagnosed from the engine computer codes it was the spark plugs and wires so they replaced these. I had the car back one day the engine light is back on. I drove to the dealer and they told me to come back on Monday if the light is still on. Well today while out doing my errands, the car started to cut out, sputter, lose accerlation and I had to pull over on the highway. I was driving on the shoulder for about 2 miles then it started to run okay. I was just thankful to get the car home without getting stranded, again. What could be the problem with this car. I asked them to refund my money and they are blowing me off regarding this option. ANY suggestions are appreciated.

Reply to
16paws

If the car is burning enough oil then teh spark plugs could be getting fouled which would make the cylinders randomly misfire. Also if the ring seals are bad enough then air could be escaping the cylinder cause a misfire too. I am not very knowledgable about cars though so if my theories are wrong please let the OP know.

Reply to
Talon