96 Altima no heat

Hi All, My 96 Altima has a problem with the heater valve cable under the dash. It seems the coolant flow valve on the engine side of the firewall was stuck and as a result it made whatever gear or vacuum modulator that drives that control cable under the dash inoperative. I disconnected the cable from the valve and with a little WD40 was able to loosen the valve to like new condition. However it already caused the damage. If I reach up and help the "arm" turn, then I'll get heat. But somehow it makes it's way back to the "cool" postition and I have to help it all over again. Is this an easy fix? Has anyone run into this? if not, check your water valve for smooth operation before you have the same problem! I see a trip to the bone yard in my near future to pull the dash out of a wreck to get this $10 gear. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions PLEASE. Thanks

Reply to
GreyRock