96 altima problem

I am trying to diagnose a problem with a 96 altima with a dual overhead cam engine. the car ran fine till it was parked for 9 months. now that is being put back in use. when cold, it starts, idles, and drives perfect. once it warms up, it will sputter at idle, and eventually die, and will not restart till cold again. I did a fuel pump test, and the pump pressure is fine, so it is getting gas. I have not done a spark test yet, but plan to, even though I know it is now a no spark problem. my question is, has anyone run into this problem before?? I don't know much about foreign cars, but believe it is either a bad coil, or a bad ignition module.

Reply to
Tom

Try cleaning around the throttle plate, sounds like it may have some buildup that's preventing enough air from getting in at idle, once the throttle closes or the IACV closes as the engine warms up. Will it restart when warm with the throttle held open slightly?

Reply to
JM

I had the same problem with a Toyota Camry at about 140,000 miles. It was the distrubutor which contained the ignition module.

Buy your replacement at the junkyard. It will be cost prohibitive to buy it new.

Junkyard cost = $100 - New cost = $400.

I ended up driving the car to about 265,000 miles with that junkyard distrubutor. The tranny went out on me before the engine and I junked it.

TFM®

Reply to
TFM®

The 93-97 Altima has a classic flaw. The distributor and cam position sensor are 1 unit. The flaw is that the CPS, being driven by the exhaust cam, is indirectly connected to it. In between this connection is a seal that prevents oil from seeping into the CPS/distributor part of the unit. Once it starts leaking, un-relaible ignition results. Solution: replace the entire distributor-cap-rotor-base module of the distrinbutor.

Check your distributor and see if there is any oil or oily feel to it. You could get things working temporarily by wiping away any oil if you need to get somewhere as a temporary fix.

CD

Reply to
Codifus