98 Nissan Altima Heater Core Leak

Hi,

My nephew's 94 Nissan Altima has a wet carpet under the passenger seat and the coolant resevoir is low. I suspect the heater core is leaking.

Please respond if you have experience in replacing this core or any other suggestions for correction. I've replaced the heater core on my 74 Chevy Nova and 66 Chevy Chevy II so I'm not too intimidated by the Nissan other than it looks really tight under that dashboard.

Is a core replacement in the Nissan similar to the Chevys?

Thanks, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

looks like the dash has to come out.

Reply to
jfrancis311

Yes, a lot of stuff has to come out of the cabin in order to get to the core. Nissan dealer estimates 2 days in the shop and $1100 for the job. NAPA is asking $167 for a replacement core.

Looks like a good do-it-yourself kind of job assuming disassembling and assembling the cabin parts is not tricky.

Charlie

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Charlie