A/C Mildew Smell 2005 Altima V6

Now getting severe mildew odor from A/C when compressor cycles on. We're in New York City area so outside temperature is in the 30's. Heating system is the fully Automatic type so compressor cycles even when heating. This was NOT evident in the summer season with the A/C running. Any thoughts?

Manny Balfour Sayville, NY snipped-for-privacy@nospamieee.org

Reply to
Manny Balfour

Is it only when it starts or all the time?

Reply to
Dennis Arduini

Manny Balfour Sayville, NY snipped-for-privacy@nospamieee.org

Reply to
Manny Balfour

Manny Balfour Sayville, NY snipped-for-privacy@nospamieee.org

Reply to
Manny Balfour

I can't offer any suggestions. I'm waiting for someone with some insight to answer the question so I can solve a similar situation...

I have a 93 model that never had the problem until it turned into my spare vehicle several years ago and spent months at a time parked. When I turn on the heat or AC the mildew odor does seem to subside as I drive (On each trip) but possibly only because I get used to it...

Vehicle is parked outdoors, always with windows slightly open. I've had several friends "sniff" in the car before starting it and none can detect an odor (from carpet or seats)

Re your comment about compressor cycling in summer. The compressor should cycle when ever the AC is turned on... and/ or when either of the defrost settings are selected. (to lower the humidity for quicker condensation removal)

Reply to
justme10

Change the cabin air filter behind the glove box.

er

2005 Altima SE-R

Reply to
Eliot Rice