Air Conditioner problem '99 Nissan Altima

I've got a 1999 Nissan Altima and the Air Conditioning doesn't seem to work any more. Hopefully someone can give me some insight into my problem...

When I discovered that it wasn't working very well, I assumed that it was low on refrigerant. So I went out in the morning when it was cool and released a bit of refrigerant out of the high pressure side to see if there was anything left in there. There was definitely still quite a bit of pressure there. I decided to "top it up" with some R12A refrigerant anyways. I've done this a couple times before and it always seemed to do the trick. While I was topping it up, the air coming out of the vents was good and cold. Later that day, I had it on the highway in the sweltering heat and nothing comes out of the vents but warm air. I thought I could feel the compressor kick in every minute or so for about 2 seconds (loaded the engine down a little). And I thought I could even feel a little blast of cold air. I'm not sure now whether that was the compressor or the electric radiator fans kicking in.

I've checked the two fuses and even swapped the A/C relay with another one to see if that was the problem. Sometimes when I start the car up in the driveway, the radiator fans turn on right away as long as the A/C button is pushed. Then they go off after about 30 seconds. It doesn't seem like the compressor clutch is even trying to engage. If I hold on to the A/C relay and get my wife to click the A/C button on and off, I would think I should feel it click but it never does.

Does anyone know of something else I can try?

Thanks for any help -Trevor Heppler

Reply to
T Heppler

You need to hook this up to a gauge set and stop guessing if it needs refrigerant or not. You may have it overcharged now and the high limit switch might be keeping it from running long enough to get cold. It's R134A you put in there, not R12A. At least I hope so

T Heppler wrote:

Reply to
Jim

Evacuate the system to -29", see if it holds a vacuum overnight. If not find and repair the leak. If it holds, recharge with the correct amount of oil and the right refrigerant R134. Or take it to someone who knows what the fsck they're doing and pay them to do it right before you ruin the compressor or the friggin thing blows up in your face.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

When a refrigeration system is evacuated is the oil removed along with the refrigerant, moisture, etc.?

Thank you.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Bybee

Reply to
spidermanfan

Reply to
spidermanfan

Refrigerant and moisture for sure. Some oil depending. I would worry more about losing oil in a leak.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow