Altima Brakes

Hi,

I have 2001 Nissan Altima with only 22K miles. On oil change, my dealer told me that car's brake pads are 75% worn out and also brakes have rust. He gave me advice to replace them with a quote of little over $500/-. Is this usual? Isnt this too early for such mileage and any ideas about the quote? Will I get a better deal somewhere?

Cheers- Avi..

Reply to
Avi

I would have to say that it is unusual for only 22K miles. Price does not seem to be too bad if a full front and rear brake job. My 99 Buick was $400+ at the dealer, only it was at 55K miles. Might want to have those brakes double checked somewhere else.

Reply to
Paul

I too in November was recommended to replace the front pads AND rotors on my

2000 Altima because of excess wear for $ 570.00 (I only have 34,000 km.) I do know I will need pads soon, but rotors? They did show me the rotors and they did HAVE a lot of rust on the rim and center. I took it to a GM dealership (I've had body work done there) place and they replaced the pads and did removed must of the rust on the rotor for $ 119. They use ACDelco parts. It's only been about 1,000 km, but they seem good.
Reply to
Martin

The pad wear does seem excessive, but perhaps due to the compound used in the OEM pads. You might want to check into Porterfield or other high performance brake pads. As for rust on the rotors, that's not uncommon on many cars. I would have the wheel removed so you can inspect the rotor up close, paying attention to the area wiped by the pads, not just the lip and hub area that just corrodes. You'll be looking for pitting and uneven wear on the "wiped" rotor area.

Reply to
MTI

First let me give you my opinion on oil changes. Don't go over five thousand miles without an oil change and oil filter change. Have the air filter checked also and cleaned or replaced.

About the brakes. Go to a shop that does brakes only or as their main business. But do NOT go to Ammaco (sp).

They should be able to replace front and rear pads if they are needed and check rotors cheaper than a dealer and as it is thier main business do a better job. Ask for a warranty (written) on labor and such. If they won't give one go somewhere else.

Brake life is dependant on who is driving the car. I can make pads last two years and thirty thousand miles, but then again I drive like an old woman who has eggs in her lap. Also I have a manual transmission so I use the tranny to help slow down the car (downshifting).

Papa Ray

Reply to
Papa Ray

I drive a 94 Altima .... yup, quite an older model than yours but I thought this might be of help to you. I just had my brake pads changed for the first time. The pads that came with the car lasted well over

80K miles!! Not sure if it is the quality of the pads, my luck, my driving techniques of not riding the brakes or a combination of all these. The rear pads were only half worn as well!

Anyway, I ordered Nippon OEM parts through one of the online places - saves upto 30% of the costs when compared with a dealer. Be happy to search and advise the online site I ordered it from if you need. Take the pads to one of the local Goodyears or someone else you prefer and have it put on. Overall savings for me was over 45% when compared to dealer costs. Hope these will last me another 80K miles!

Cheers Subbarayudu snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Subbarayudu

I changed mine @ 42k miles. The disc pad will give you an audible warning when to change it. It has a backplate that touches disc plate creates a high pitch sound to warn you that the pad is schedule for replacement. $500 is too much. A good set of disc pad cost $40. Take it to a mechanic (probably charge you $75 for that). Job is simple - can be done in about 45 minutes.

Reply to
trhq

Unless you drive like my ex-wife, all go and then slam on the brakes, you don't even need a brake job. You might have a problem with calipers not releasing. Is your brake fluid level ok, notice any leaks in your driveway?

You should not have to have pads with that small number of miles unless, you do some unusual driving.

Take it to a place that does only brakes, wheel and alignment type work. It might cost you a little to get them to give you what they think. DO NOT GO TO AMACO. Talk to your friends, find a place that they liked and didn't screw them over.

Unless I am completely mis-understanding your problem, your dealer is dis-honest and only wants your money.

Reply to
Papa Ray

Less than $ 200 for semi-matallic on both axles. Around Central Florida, $

80 per axle is about average.

Reply to
Christopher Snider

Unless your made out of money, never go to a dealer for brakes and such. Go to a reputable brake and suspension shop and get an estimate in writing.

You shouldn't need any work on the back brakes with that low of milage.

Here is a website that will give you aproximate costs for parts.

Papa Ray