breaks(not sure though if its break) squeaking sound

I have 1999 Altima and about 4 months back I got the 60,000 miles servicing done. During that service, CV Boots and and the drive belt were also replaced. Overall it costed me about $1000 for the whole thing.

Now the problem is whenever I apply/release the brake, I get SQEAKING sound. Its quite audible to passenger also. I took the car back to Dealer service but they couldn't find anything wrong with the car.

I took the car to another dealer, and the service person there told that the sound could be coming from the metal lining in the brake pads. As per this guy, all the new brake pads have this issue of squeaking sound and its normal.

Pl. advice. Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards, Rohit

Reply to
Rohit Agarwal

whoever did the brakes didn't put anti-squeal on the back of the pads.

Reply to
Eric F

That means you need to replace the brakes. The sqeaking noise is an indication to replace brakes. That sqeaking noice will increase everyday. It's a feature in 99 Nissan Altima that was mentioned in the owners manual. Very annoying feature .. :)

Reply to
aluri

If you have a fairly thick pad the problem is in the type of pad that you used. I had the same problem too when I replaced the brake pads. I changed it with a replacement part (store have only a regular quality). The metallic fiber with the pad is the culprit. Solution: replace with original pad or better (ceramic pads). That will solve it.

If your pad is just about to the limit, the squeek is coming from the audible metal strip the touches the disc. change you pads (get the better type!).

Reply to
trhq

And not the "breaks."

And get a dictionary while you're out getting new brakes.

John

Reply to
The Lindbergh Baby