Fuel Efficiency dropping - 2005 Altima S

Hi.

I bot a 2005 Pre-owned Nissan Altima S with 20,080 miles in Sept., 05. It's now ~22,500.

It's cold here in New England so I Must turn the heat on!

I noticed that my fuel efficiency dropped from 23 to 19mpg while my driving style has Not changed! I've also checked and inflated the tires properly so I do not know why the fuel eff. have dropped!

Could using the heater Really make that much of a difference to drop my fuel eff. by almost 20%??

I've read on some online reviews that the Altima does not handle well in the cold. Is this true?

I've owned a Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla and just came off a lease for a VW Passat (hence the Altima purchase). Those other cars Never had a problem with fuel eff. while using the A/C or heat system!

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

TIA!

Mz

I have an '05 and do mostly highway, so my numbers are higher than yours . I havent calculated in awhile, but I dont think I've dropped 20%. Once I start commuting to work again tomorrow (AARGH!) I can guage better. Are you using 87 or 91 gas?

Reply to
Alan

Hi.

I'm using Regular 87 gas. I just filled up with Super and the car handles slightly smoother and quicker.

I guess the engine is "made" to handle better with higher octane gas.

I try to keep a constant speed and Not do jack-rabbit starts but this car REALLY NEEDS to be pushed! The VW Passat can handle anything but the Altima, I almost always have to "push" the car to get some decent acceleration. Once traveling at a constant speed, it's OK but the acceleration really SUCK! I also have an Auto tran which would explain most of the reason why it's so slow it shifting. This is the FIRST car I've owned with Auto Tran (it's pre-owned so I didn't have a choice)!

I've noticed that when I do NOT use the AC or Heater, the mileage Does improve near 23mpg so I guess NISSAN probably never included the usage of the AC or/and heater when they calculated the MPG for the Altima. Nissan sucks!

Mz

Reply to
rppb

Hello.

I've read many places online that the Altima does Not handle well in the cold weather and that the engine should not idle long. Idling in the morning is not suggested.

Well... I live in New England and it IS winter now with temperatures at night fulling into the 20s-30s! Usually, the car is frosted over in the morning so I DO warm up the engine but I try Not to let it idle for more than 5 minutes.

Sure enough, doing that for one week with NOT a change in my driving patterns have resulted in ~19mpg.

Damn! Had I known Nissan Altima engines can NOT take the cold, I would have bot any car instead! Now I HAVE to live with a car that does Not handle well in the winter!

It's Not JUST the fuel efficiency but the overral handling in the cold weather and snow REALLY makes the car feel sluggish!

BTW... the Center driver's side air vent in the 2005 Altima model SUCKS!! It blows air right into the driver's face! Did Nissan's engineers NOT notice this when they made the center console available for the optional DVD system??

Damn Nissan!

First time Nissan owner! Probably the last!

Reply to
Mz