i need to know what is wrong with my car

in second gear when i try hitting 5000rpm it hesitates at 3000rpm bad, when i step on the gas it hesitates in an gear, and when it gets to hot it shuts off and locks up.

its it an easy problem to fix or time for a new car?

HELP

Reply to
pinkerbell1983

Stick, I take it? What do you mean by getting "hesitate bad", "hot" and "lock up"? You are a little cryptic.

Does the thermometer go up while driving and then not restart until you let it cool down? Probably the thermostat - replace that first. An easy fix if that's it.

Reply to
remco

I mean the car sputters when revving up to 5000rpm (shift point) and then after 10-15 min of driving it ...it stalls on me and wont start back up.

My thermostat works just fine, and I have plenty of coolant in the radiator/resevoir. So it is not overheating, just stalling out of no where.

I already tried a new coil because that was fried, and now I think it might be the distributor but do not know, and don't want to get ripped off by a mechanic.

Reply to
pinkerbell1983

THere is a really nice and simple solution to this problem, don't rev it up to 5000 RPM. Just because the car can do 6500 RPM doesn;t mean that it should do that on the highway or do clutch drops at the red line. You shouldalso check the air intake, opening it up to 5000 takes a fair amount of air to get in, and if there is too much restriction that could cause your problem.

Reply to
bucksatan

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I guess technically you could run it that aggressive, but it is just an altima, not a testarossa :) I think he mentioned that it locks up when it heats, whatever that means. Another post by the same person mentions that the distributor is bad. Maybe just a troll..

Reply to
remco