ignition locked on 2003

ignition wont unloc

-- woothut

View this thread:

Send from

woothut

rppb

I have to do the same thing on my wifes 2003 Altima. I think the key is worn out and I need to get a new one made. When I put the key in sometimes the key will not spin to start the engine and I have to shake the steering wheel back a forth while trying to turn the key and it works. To me that is a sign of a key going bad so I think I need to see if I can get a good key made and take it from there.

-Sam >Try pushing the shifter to the left.

Reply to
Sam

Reply to
rppb

That happens on a few cars I've driven. The solution for me was that the steering wheel needs to be moved either let or right against the lock to unlock the ignition. The key isn't worn out, this happens on new cars.

Reply to
dan.penton

What you guys describe is normal for most vehicle brands and models.

What happens is that when you remove the key, the steering wheel lock releases a pin that then rests against the steering shaft. If the steering wheel is in a certain position, this pin will actually engage in a cut-out in the steering shaft, thus actually locking the steering.

When this happens, when you try to start the vehicle, the key by itself will not be able to pull the p> ignition wont unlock

Reply to
AS

I agree with having a new key made but for me that wasn't so easy. It was very difficult to remove the Altima key mechanism but can be done without removing the air bag. The locksmith cut a key to the lock rather than an older, worn key and those new keys are working well.

Does the Altima have a mechanism requiring the brake to be depressed when turning the key?

Reply to
Bill