Leaking strut or torn boot?

'96 Altima GXE, auto, 100k miles, this is my mother-in-law's car, she bought it used with 94k miles on the odometer.

While replacing sway bar bushings I noticed some grease splashed over the wheel well. My initial reaction was - torn CV boot. However, after inspecting the boot I am a bit puzzled - I could not see any holes. The boot seems to be in good condition, no cracks. Then I look at the bottom of the strut, and there's a lot more of the same grease. The struts are KYB and I personally replaced them 3-4 months ago. The grease is NOT the greenish one that I am used to in Nissan cars, having replace 4 boots on other Nissans. It's brown, on the lighter side, but consistency is the same. So I looked at the boot again, and maybe, just maybe, there's a pinhole on the seam. I tried to push on the boot to see if some grease would come out of it, but could not make it happen. So, here are two scenarios. Which one do you think is more likely:

  1. The CV boot is packed with non-oem grease, which is leaking through a small hole, and is splashed on the bottom of the strut and elsewhere. (most likely)

  1. The strut is leaking the grease from the bottom (is it even possible? I thought those are filled with oil, not grease, and leak at the top) which drips on the boot and gets splashed on everything. (kinda bogus, but I'd like this one better - the strut is under warranty and is a whole lot easier to replace)

Thans In Advance,

Fil

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov