Left Headlight and High Beam Indicator Problem

I have a 1994 Nissan Altima SE. I seem to be experiencing a problem with my left headlight. I have changed both headlights with new bulbs. The right side is fine. When i turn on my headlights, only the right one is turned on. The left one stays off, but another event that occurs is the high-beam indicator is also on (in my dashboard). But, i know for a fact that i have not activated my high-beams.

On rare occasions, both headlights work, but the high beam indicator stays off. I have checked the Haynes manual and according to the schematics, the left headlight and the high beam indicator are tied together through the same circuit and connection in the combination swtich. I have checked the fuses and they are fine, for both left and right headlights.

I have even gone to the extent of checking the resistance on the terminals on the right headlight (when lights are switched off and battery disconnected). I compared these results to the measurements on the left headlight connector and got something to the effect of 5.6Mohms (on one of the connections). To me, this is an open circuit, but considering i got complete opens on the right connector, leads me to believe something is wrong in the combination switch.

I was wondering if someone else has experienced this problem and how you resolved this issue, or if someone knows how to perform a quick fix, as opposed to me opening up the steering column and doing continuity tests on the combination switch.

Any help/comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Trekkie

I had a similar problem with the left headlamp in my '94 Altima. But the socket had started to melt. I attributed it to heating up because corrosion caused the resistance of the contacts to increase.

I believe the high beam indicator comes on when there's a problem in the circuit or one of the headlamps is bad.

Maybe a fusible link in your case but I'm not sure.

Reply to
labjr