Nissan Altim Coolent problem

I have a 1995 Nissan Altima. The radiator bust and I had it replaced, but now it doesn't hold coolent. The mechanic where I had the radiator replaced said it needs a new engine, but I don't think so the car runs like there is nothing wrong, no skipping or back firing, the coolent just runs out if you try to drive it. Could this be the thermostat or a water pump? I'm sure it doesn't need a new engine. What do you think? Please help.

Ladee

Reply to
ladee

I think that there is a serious problem here. Serious in that you want it fixed and the 'mechanic" wants more of your money for not doing a good job in the first place when he replaced your radiator.

But I don't know a lot of facts so I might be wrong.

A few questions.

Why was the radiator replaced?

Is this a radiator shop where you had it replaced? What does the local Better business Bureau think of this place and/or do they have any past complaints about them?

Does the coolant come out after car is stopped and engine turned off?

Have you had someone else look at car (friend, relative, another shop)?

When the radiator was replaced, did the guy get all the air out of the system? (this involves opening a air bleed port in cooling system while filling and running engine (at the right time and sequence). If not done right, it can cause problems.

I suspect that possibly there is a bad hose or a clamp that was not installed correctly or it could be as bad as a leaking new radiator or even a faulty or wrong radiator cap installed (this happened to one of my friends. When he had a new hose installed, the guy put some other cars cap on by mistake).

You need to watch the temp. guage constantly until you get this repaired. Also, have you had your oil level checked lately? I check mine at least once a week and change my oil and filter every 3 thousand miles. But then I'm kinda anal about things.

Here is some light reading on the subject.

Papa Ray

Reply to
Papa Ray

Papa Ray

Thanks for responding to my question. The car was taken to the dealer to get the radiator fixed. The radiator bust while I was driving. The coolant only comes out if the car is running for a while or you are driving it. When it's running you can see the coolant bubbling in the over flow container. We were thinking maybe a hose is clogged. Could this be possible? Also there is no heat in the car.

Ladee

Reply to
ladee

I don't like the sound of "coolant bubbling in oveflow container".

That is one possible symptom of a leaking headgasket. There are other symptoms and ways to check out if this is the problem. I think that the wrong cap may also cause this. (don't quote me on this).

How hot (if you know) did the car engine get before it was shut off when the radiator leaked the first time?

If it got too hot it might have warped the head, allowing the gasket to start leaking water into the combustion chambers (and combustion gases into water chambers). I am not saying this is the problem but it might be from that (1) symptom.

The "no heat in car" might mean the the thermostat is stuck open or the guy forgot to put it back (if he had it out, which I don't think he did, just for a radiator replacement). It would take a fairly large foreign object to clog up the cooling system. But...enough air trapped in system could possibly make it do strange things.

YOu need to take it to a radiator shop where they specialize in this. It might cost you $ 35.00 to $ 50.00 to get them to check it out, but I would spend it.

If it is a blown head gasket. The repair costs would be pretty high as they will have to have the head cked for warp and possibley milled or you might have to get a replacement head. New gasket and labor could total a bunch. How much depends where you live, labor prices, how difficult it is on your particular engine and the like. You could shop for the best price but stick to larger shops or shops recommended to you from satisfied customers.

Wrote a book and left out a lot, hard to diagnose on computer on some problems.

Papa Ray

Reply to
Papa Ray

Have it pressure tested by someone else and take the radiator guy the results. Sounds like a bad radiator to me if it runs fine other than coolant loss.

now it doesn't hold coolent. The mechanic where I had the radiator replaced said it needs a new engine, but I don't think so the car runs like there is nothing wrong, no skipping or back firing, the coolent just runs out if you try to drive it. Could this be the thermostat or a water pump? I'm sure it doesn't need a new engine. What do you think? Please help.

Reply to
Christopher Snider