Opinions on 1997 Altima GXE

I'm considering purchasing a 1997 Nissan Altima GXE with auto trans. Anything I should look out for and was there a similar sized car with a better rating for that year? How is the repair record?

Reply to
Jerrymeister

If it means anything, my buddy just replaced his '97 GXE with an '03 SL. It was a little over 184,000 miles and the air conditioner had gone out. The clutch was having problems, too. Nice car, the '03. I like it much better than the '02. I thought the '02 looked cheap inside, but the '03 seems better.

Reply to
Kai Ponte

Jerrymeister wrote: : I'm considering purchasing a 1997 Nissan Altima GXE with auto trans. : Anything I should look out for and was there a similar sized car with a : better rating for that year? How is the repair record?

Afraid I can't help you with that specific year personally. My parents leased a '94 or '95 Altima and it held up trouble-free through that period. I drive a '98 GXE and it, too, has had zero unexpected maintenance.

Consumer Reports has a generally favorable reliability history on the 97.

Reply to
Jason Compton

The models never changed from 95 - 97 so prob wont have trouble with it.

Reply to
Scott

We had a 1996 Altima GXE with auto transmission and had absolutely no problems with it. Very nice little car. We took road trips all the way from British Columbia to San Diego and only did routine maintainence. The only reason we sold it was because we wanted a Subaru Wagon.

Reply to
Neal

Great car, only thing i would say is check the plugs and wires and distributor cap. Other than that the automatic trans my be a little sticky on a downshift from second to first at about 10 MPH. Be sure dirver can easily accel. untill trans shifts.

other than that great buy Brian

Reply to
Brian