Parked impact to front bumper & the air bag module

If the engine is off and the car parked then another vehicle backs into the parked '95 Altima giving it a good jolt, will this set a code in the air bag module causing the air bag module lamp to flash until crash data is cleared from the module? The open-door-toggle-light- seven-times-then-start-car method suppresses the flashing only until it starts to move.

I understand newer vehicles are recording a greater variety of data relating to speed, G force, seat belt status but the question even with these would remain does it record data if the engine is off and the air bag doesn't deploy?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Was there any damage to the front end? I think the air bag sensor is right out there behind the grill. It could have been damaged if the grill moved.

Reply to
e. meyer

There are deep scratches but that wasn't it. I picked up a used airbag control module and although there was still flashing I did get an actual code unlike from the original AECM. The code was 2. I found the spiral cable open. I picked up a used spiral cable and it works find, no more air bag flashing. Interestingly, the code retrieval, 5 flashes of the door button, works on the used AECM but not on the original. Could be the bouncing switch gives too many counts that don't get properly debounced on the original. 8 counts clears the code on the used AECM but that same code clearing eventually failed on the original. I go 8 and start the engine with the button held down as if the door is closed. So, you have your original fast flashing, key to on but not engine running and a quick 5 counts of the door switch gives the error code. Another off then on and 8 counts gets the code cleared and flashing stops. I must have forced the wheel too far in a U turn.

Bill

Reply to
Bill