Re: Altima Reliability vs Accord

I know this doesn't really answer your question specifically, but may I ask

> why get your daughter a brand new car??? From what I know, the Accord has a > long standing track record of perfection where the Altima has had some > difficulties along the way. I would prefer the Accord, however, your > daugher is right in saying that the Altima has better styling. Looks.....or > reliability? Or just plain and simple, save yourself the 25k and get a 2000 > Accord for 12k, since more than likely she will wreck it the first year she > is driving (just statistics, your daughter could be the best driver on > earth). > > Hope that helped! > > >

I think for reliability the two are about neck and neck. It's impossible to say anything meaningful about the new models yet because they are so new, but if the older versions are any guide, both will be relatively maintenance-free. However, as others have said, the Altima has a blander interior. The Accord has a blander exterior. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

John

Reply to
John Grabowski

The two are great cars no doubt. I own both a 99 accord and a 99 Altima. I like the handling of the altima a little more, especially in the snow. I have yet to have any moajor problems with either. At about 90k mi I had to replace my distributor cap and rotor in the Altima. Other than that it's been normal maintenance on both. The Honda does get better gas milage than the Altima, but i've always owned a nissan and stand by them. The power in the low end for the Altima is greater than the Accord. I would reccomend the 5 speen trans. in both, i test drove the automatics and there is a greater response time in the Honda (especially the downshift from second to first at about 10 MPH) but the standards don't compare. Beware, for re-sale, the Honda will be higher. Overall the comfort and simplicity of the interior of the Altima is what does it for me. Overall ratings Nissan Altima 9.5, Honda Accord 9.2. By the way I am a 21 yr old College Student too, so i know what your daughter's looking for. For the styling i would def. go for one of the new altimas, the honda's just don't compare.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

My friend had an 97 altima for 2years. He bought used. He had continous problem with his car all the time. Fuelpump, Front glass broken suddenly one cold winter morning, unstable front suspension, body rattling noice, poor a/c etc. He spend more than $400 for just a brake job once to get rid of a squeeking noice from the brakes. Lost

2, 3 times his wheel caps. He used to drive fast probably. Also the seats seams began to come apart before the end of 2nd year. Finally he give up. Sold the car and bought a Honda Accord. His experience with Altima was not a nice one.

Sam

Reply to
sams

snipped-for-privacy@freeddns.org (sams) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

OTOH, I have a 2002 Altima with 25k miles on it, and I have never had a problem of any kind. I live in Northern California, and I spend a lot of time in the mountains. The car performs like a champ, whether it's on the San Francisco hills, or the freeway. Anecdotal evidence is never really important when it comes to cars. It's the actual production unit that matters. You could get a dud Honda Accord and have nothing but heart aches, or you could have great luck with a car considered less reliable. However, this is my 3rd Nissan in a row, and I'd never buy anything else.

jb

Reply to
JB

I agree with the posts on the Altima and Accord comparison. I wish the

2003 Altima had used better console plastic than it is now. I am looking at the two cars and like the Altima's engineering (As far as the 97 below goes, there will be lemons here and there with all makes. Oh well.....) but will probably pick the Accord because of the interior appointments. BTW, the Altima is also cheaper than the Accord.
Reply to
Mike