rear speaker cutout

Hi,

I've got a 2001 nissan altima GXE. One of the rear speakers blew and I want to replace it. The first thing I noticed was how hard it is to actually get to the speakers. I followed some advice I found and folded down the rear seats, removed the plastic panels, removed the brake light, removed all the fishhooks that hold down the fibreboard. Everything seemed loose, but I still couldn't get the fireboard out easily (without forcing it out and feeling like its going to rip). It seemed to be blocked by the rear side cushions( not the seats themselves, the seat part closest to the door). So I cancelled my little project before doing anything stupid :)

  1. Anyone have any advice on how else to access the speakers?
  2. Is it normal or even smart to simply cut a hole though the fibreboard to access the speakers? I was thinking of making it a bit wider than the speakers themselves to acccess the screws and everything?
  3. Just to confirm, the speakers themselves are 6 3/4 in? but 6 1/2 in should be fine?

Thanks,