Removing A Stock Shifter Knob?

I have a '99 Altima and I just bought a custom 8-ball shifter knob for it. The only problem is that it is impossible to take the stock knob off. I tried pulling it off, twisting it off, then tried heating it to pull it off, and, out of frustration, tried to cut it off. Is there some trick any one with an Altima knows that I don't? Help!

Reply to
BigBenny