Routine maintenance question

I have a '97 Altima with approximately 84K miles (the odometer broke at about 81K). Is it time to replace the timing belt? If so, should I have the water/fuel pumps and thermostat done simultaneously as those parts of the engine will be exposed during the timing belt replacement and they can "share the labor"? Anything in particular that should be replaced with regard to the suspension at this point in time?

And what about that odometer - is that a big deal to fix?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
how_D

Yes, replace the belt. It's probably about that time, as well as the water pump and thermostat, and flush the cooling system. the fuel pump is fine, don't worry about that.

the odometer is a different story.. you might have to crack open the dashboard and see if the gear popped out or broke or whatever. It can be a very big pain in the butt.

Reply to
Eric F

NO TIMING belt in any Altima !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Greg

Sorry.. when I see the timing belt questions, I automatically and subconsciencly give out the standard line to replace it at 75,000 miles..

Reply to
Eric F

it may not be "routine", but my 99 needs a new one soon for sure - timing was off 20 degrees - tech turned it back 19 which is as far as it will go, so at 75k, i believe you should have them check your timing and make any adjustments necessary

Reply to
spiccolli