starting problem on 1994 nissan altima

My car stranded me in philadelphia yesterday when it just refused to start last nite. The car runs fine and went to phily 2 times over this weekend and had no problems at all.. I just bought this car last week and just need some help on how to solve this problem.. When I turn the key theres no sound at all.. The radio, dash clock and the lights seem to be working fine, so it does not look like a battery problem. When I open the hood and have it started, theres a continous clicking sound when the key switches to on.. I tried it a few times and even tried jump starting it. But no response. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Reply to
rampyaltima

Hi

I'd imagine that your starter is the cause of the problem. Check all the connections and fuses, but you probably already have done that. The under-the-hood "click" is a dead-give-away.

Try this to get you home: Get a piece of wood (like a 2x4, anything will do), place it on the body of the starter. Have someone start your engine and, while he/she starts it, hit the other end of the stick with a hammer (or the bottom of your shoe, if you don't have a hammer handy) -- don't hit it too hard; you just want to mechanically shock the starter, not bend the thing.

There's a good chance that it will start while doing this - just don't turn it off until you get where you are going. You will most likely have to replace the starter or fix the starter -- it may work for a while after the hitting-it-until-it-works trick, but don't count on it not to leave you stranded again. Oftentimes, the starter can be repaired by replacing the brushes -- not sure if they are accessable while the starter is still bolted on the Nissan's engine. If not, you will have to remove the starter and fix or replace it. It isn't hard to do yourself and you can save significant beer money this way. I'd check on ebay or in the junk yards for a replacement - the dealer will try to stick it to you if you bought it there.

Hope this helps you. Remco

Reply to
RemcoW

Hi again

Just reread the message and was wondering what you meant by a 'continuous clicking': the car's starter is not actually turning over, behaving like it is starting, is it? If the starter isn't turning, the directions below should help. If it is turning, it could be the timing belt which is not quite as simple.

Just thought to clarify because I wouldn't want to steer you down a dark alley with bad advice. Regards, Remco

Reply to
remcow

i had a similar problem with a 1993 nissan altima, which was resolved by changing the starter and the battery. although, the car didn't make any clicking noise when i turned the key. hope you can get it fixed fast. take care.

Reply to
mika34792

Hey Thanx for that. I havent looked at the car until now as its in Philadelphia and I am in NJ. I am going there over the weekend and I will get it fixed then. The clicking sound starts the minute the engine switches to on. I dont actually need to turn the key to engage the starter, to start that sound. It sounds as if the starter isnt even engaging, so it does sound like a starter problem from its description. I'll let u guys know how it worked out. Thanx for the help

Reply to
rampyaltima

Ok, so it makes the noise when the car is just turned on? In other words, you have not turned the key beyond starting yet? That is a new one on me, if that is the case. Still check the starter/battery, though. Maybe the clicking is just some weird artifact.

If you hear clicking when you turn the key to the start position, the noise most likely comes from the relay on the starter. If it just clicks several times as you hold the key there, most likely it draws too much power as it is trying to start from the battery. The voltage on the relay just hovers around its operational voltage and clicking occurs as load on the battery changes so it oscillates between on and off.

Befrore you check your starter, be sure to charge the battery fully especially since it has been sitting for a week without any action. If you have a spare battery, try that one instead. Jump charging doesn't always do the trick if the battery is really low. If the battery is older (>4 yrs), it could be that one of the cells is either shorted or has a high impedance - basically means a dead battery and charging or jumping will not help.

If you have a voltmeter, monitor the voltage across the battery while starting. If it drops more than 3 volts or so, you battery could be the culprit. In case you don't have a voltmeter, a 'field' way of checking is to turn the lights on and start the car - the light will dim some but shouldn't go out while starting.

It would be great if it ended up just being your battery -- is cheaper and easier to replace than a starter. "Good hunting" finding the problem, buddy! Remco

Reply to
remcow

thanx man..sure will..I'll let u guys know how it went down...

Reply to
rampyaltima

I'm having yhe same problem. I've replaced the starter and it still doesn't start sometimes.

Reply to
GREAT1

Hi

It could of course be that the starter you replaced the original with has the same problem - it is not an uncommon problem so if you got your starter at a junk yark, you really don't know the status of the part.

The very fist thing to check so see if the 12V to the starter is indeed 12V when you crank the engine. It might drop a couple (i.e. 2) of volts when starting. If it drops drastically (>2V) without cranking anything, it can mean that the starter is physically jammed but that is less likely than an electrical issue - it does happen, so don't rule it out.

More likely is that something in that power leg has a high resistance. It could be that your battery has a bad cell, having a higher resistance and just can't deliver the cold cranking current required. One could charge the battery, but probably will not help in that case. Try jump starting the car to see if it becomes more reliable. Drastic drop in voltage can also mean a high resistance in power or ground so make sure that the fat wire to the starter is not corroded on either ends. The other thinner wire to the starter is most likely fine as that switches the relay on top of the starter, but it doesn't hurt to clean it too since you are there.

To see if your ground is bad, put one end of a starter cable on the negative of the battery and the other end to the biggest bare piece of metal mounted to the engine - don't do anything with the positive starter cable; you just want to make a solid ground connection to the battery. Start the engine and see if it becomes more reliable - if it does, find all ground connections and inspect/clean them.

Hope you find it soon. Remco

Reply to
remcow