Steering gear boots torn - replace or live with it?

'96 Altima GXE, 100k miles, auto

While replacing the sway bar bushings I noticed that both steering gear boots are ripped quite badly. I don't know how long it's been like this, since my mother-in-law bought the car used about 5k miles ago. Should I replace the boots now, or is it too late, or should I just wait? What's the eventual outcome, if the boots are not replaced? New rack, I assume? The replacement seems fairly easy, except for the inner clamps. I can't see how to get to them. I hope the rack does not have to come out for this, right?

Thanks is advance,

Fil

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov

Replace them, Not having them in good condition will shorten the life of the rack and pinion seals.

Loosen the locking nut of adjustment of the tie-end rods, and measure the number of turns and fraction of turns until fully in from the actual position (not out). Use a paint marker to make the counting easier. Then unscrew them to be able to replace the boot. Not sure about the inner clamps in your vehicle.

Good luck

Filipp Stepanov wrote:

Reply to
AS

Just got the new boots from the dealer, they come with both inner and outer clamps. The inner clamp is different from the outer one, you just need to push on it and should catch. I'll probably put it on this coming weekend. Thanks!

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov