Timing chain (Altima 1997 GXE).

Hi,

+I intend to buy a 1997 Nissan Altima, GXE 119,000 miles for 3000 USD. This car looks good but when I brought it to an automechanic, he told me that there is a noise in timing chain. He just took a glance and heard the sound from the engine. He seemed very hurry at that time. I am wondering if that timing chain makes noise is normal for a used car after 119,000 miles. What If I don't change it and still drive it for a while in local road?

+please tell me where in the car I can read the VIN?

  • I want to see if the airbag and ABS are functioning. I hear we can see the lights in the car, do you know where they are ?

+finally, this car once was used a a rental vehicle. Is it a problem? I heard that it is oki since rental company maintained very well their car.

Thanks

Reply to
VijaKhara

theres a tsb on the altimas to remove the upper chain guides..they can be removed and your chain probably doesnt need replacing

Reply to
bruinfan45