Upgrading '91 Max to an '02 Altima

I've owned my '91 Maxima SE for about 9 years, and have been very pleased with it most of the time (except the Bose setup and the damn window reg units). It's got 180K+ on the odo, and just needs to be replaced. I need something more reliable/dependable for work and travel. I'll be driving in snow, so I considered several AWD mini-utes as well as FWD cars. I plan on keeping this next car for just as long, so I am obviously not considering any American cars.

So, I looked at many used (new to me) cars. They generally fall into 2 categories.

Not nearly enough leg room (I'm 6'1" and about 220):

Honda - Accord, CR-V Toyota - Camry, RAV4, Highlander, Matrix (too small anyway) Subaru - Outback, Impreza, Legacy

Too expensive to buy - Too expensive to maintain

Audi - A4, A6 - poor reliability BMW - 325xi, 330xi VW - Passat 4Motion - see Audi Subaru - Forester ('03 and up has the room, but generally too pricey)

I then started looking at / thinking about another Nissan. The newer Maximas are far too unattractive to consider, but I really like the new Altimas ('02 and up). I haven't driven one yet (will be today).

Which brings me to my questions.

Has anyone owned both the new Altima and an older (3rd or 4th Gen) Maxima? How would you compare the two?

How does the 4-cylinder Altima compare to either of these cars? It has more HP and torque than my V6 3rd Gen, so I'm definitely considering it (plus, in case you haven't noticed, gas prices aren't exactly stable these days). I'd like the V6 Altima, but not sure I can justify it.

The 3rd Gen Max and the Altima have indy suspensions, the 4th Gen Max has a solid rear axle. Any obvious handling differences between these cars?

I'd also appreciate any comments new Altima owners have about their car.

Thanks,

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

I had a 89se traded it off on a 03 Kia Sorento I also have a 98se it's been a really great auto. and have thought like you that the new Maximas just don't look good also their quality seems to have taken a hit. I do think the new Altimas are really cool looking and thats my thoughts. Not having driven one I am just watching the forums to see what real Altima owners are saying about them.

Reply to
CardSharking