03 Maxima Front suspension noise

Hi,

2003 Maxima GLE 75K miles

There is a noise from the left front as if someone was rhythmically knocking a block of hardwood against the bodywork.

The noise ONLY appears when I am NEITHER accellerating or braking.

The noise ONLY happens when the front wheels are pointing straight ahead, disappears when I turn the wheel.

The noise ONLY appears between 20 - 40 mph, disappears at higher speeds

There is zero vibration feedback through the steering wheel

The noise appears to be more pronounced when it is raining?

I do not believe it is a wheel bearing problem, I have had faulty wheel bearings before.

I do not it is a CV Joint problem as I have had CV Joint problems before. Also there is zero noise when turning.

I have jacked up the left front. Lug nuts are at correct torque. No wheel bearing play. No sign of tire being out of round. Removed the wheel. No obvious sign of play in any joints. No obvious wear on any rubber bushes. The rubber bush for stabilizer bar looks slightly worn where it surrounds the stabilizer bar (whole is too large).

Have checked and torqued all suspension nuts, bolts. Shock absorber appears undamaged.

I might be imagining it but it appears there is a muffled low level vibration all the time now.

Only thing I can think of the the top area where the strut attaches to the bodywork. I am not familiar with this area. What's in this area, bearing, rubber mount. Is this area the likely source of my problem.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Problem here was a wheel bearing on the RIGHT side, I thought the noise was coming from the left, so much for my diagnostic skills.

Repair cost $325 at my local shop.

Al Moodie

Reply to
Al Moodie